20 dead, several injured in blast at Quetta’s Hazarganji

QUETTA, April 12 (INP): At least 20 people were killed and several others got injured on Friday in a blast at Quetta’s Hazarganji Sabzi Mandi.

DIG Quetta Abdul Razaq Cheema confirmed the casualties and added that eight of the victims were belonging to the Hazara community.

After being informed about the incident, the rescue workers reached the spot and moved bodies and injured to Bolan Medical Centre. Security forces have cordoned off the site of the blast and collected evidence.

According to the police, buildings located nearby were also damaged in the blast, however the nature of the blast could not be ascertained.

Prime Minister Imran Khan has denouncing the attack has asked concerned authorities to provide medical facilities to the injured.

The Premier has also sought inquiry report into the incident.

Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan has strongly condemned the blast and extended his condolences with the bereaved families.

The culprits involved in the incident will be brought to the court of justice, he vowed.

He also directed health department to provide best facilities to the injured.

Last year, in the month of April, five policemen had embraced martyrdom while eight Frontier Corps personnel were injured after a series of blasts in Balochistan province’s Quetta city.

Prime Minister Imran Khan condemned the blast in Hazarganji and summoned a report on the incident.

The premier expressed his grief at the loss of innocent lives, and directed the authorities to ensure the best medical treatment for the injured.

President Dr Arif Alvi condemned the blast and expressed sorrow over the loss of precious lives. In a statement, he termed it a “heinous act of terrorism which is a reminder for us as nation that few remnants of this menace are still left to be eliminated totally.”

Condemning the attack, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry prayed for eternal peace for the departed souls and early recovery of the injured. He said the terrorists wanted to target the process of progress and development by harming peace in the country.

The valiant people of Pakistan have been boldly facing the menace of terrorism and time is not far when terrorists will be completely eliminated from the country, the minister added.

Opposition leader in the National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif prayed for the departed souls and expressed condolences to the grieving families of the victims. He said the nation and its institutions have rendered great sacrifices to eliminate terrorism from the soil.

Pakistan Peoples Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari wrote on Twitter: “Condemn the terrorist attack in Quetta. The government must stop dragging its feet & take action to counter violent extremism. Thoughts and prayers with the families of the victims.”

Balochistan governor Amanullah Khan Yasinzai, chief minister Mir Jam Kamal Khan and Punjab chief minister Usman Buzdar also condemned the attack in the strongest words.