i NEWS PAKISTAN

FO clarifies US made no request to use Pakistani airspace against IranBreaking

May 22, 2026

Pakistan's Foreign Office (FO) has clarified that the United States (US) did not make any request for the use of Pakistani airspace for launching any military action against Iran. The Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Hussain Andrabi made the remarks during a weekly media briefing in Islamabad on Friday. Tahir Andrabi said regional peace efforts should not be viewed through the lens of any single institution, stressing that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Field Marshal Asim Munir, Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi were all working collectively to promote stability and diplomacy in the region. 

He said Pakistan’s leadership remained in contact with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and other Iranian officials, describing such engagement as part of Pakistan’s normal diplomatic contacts with neighbouring countries. The spokesperson declined to confirm or deny reports regarding a possible visit to Iran by a high-level Pakistani delegation, saying he was not aware of any such trip and therefore could not comment on its authenticity. Andrabi also clarified that recent remarks by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio related to the visit of Pakistan’s Interior Minister, rather than any other individual. 

He said Pakistan continued its diplomatic mission to reduce tensions in the Middle East and noted that Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had made two important visits to Iran during the week, holding meetings with senior Iranian leaders. The spokesperson added that Pakistan had condemned recent attacks on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. He further stated that Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar had held telephone conversations with foreign officials from Qatar, Egypt and Uzbekistan. Reiterating Pakistan’s position on regional security, Andrabi said nuclear facilities should never be targeted under any circumstances. 

He also announced that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif would depart on an official visit to China, lasting until 26 May, during which he is expected to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping and other senior leaders. The spokesperson said China had consistently supported Pakistan during difficult times and noted that official events had been organised to mark the 75th anniversary of Pakistan-China diplomatic relations. Andrabi also confirmed that social activist Saad Edhi, who had been associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla initiative, had been released safely.

Credit: Independent News Pakistan (INP)