The death toll rose sharply to over 325 as the authorities in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa assessed the devastation caused by landslides and flash floods triggered by heavy monsoon rains coupled with cloud bursts across the province. Of those killed, 221 were recorded in Buner District alone, where one resident likened the disaster to "doomsday". As many as 158 people died in Gaddezai Tehsil of Buner, 38 in Chugharzai Tehsil and 25 in Daggar Tehsil.
Twenty-two people were still reported buried under the debris in Gulbandi area of Buner. So far 131 dead bodies have been brought to THQ Hospital in Gaddezai Tehsil. The KP officials told that around 2,000 rescue workers were engaged in recovering bodies from the debris and carrying out relief operations in nine affected districts.
"Heavy rainfall, landslides in several areas, and washed-out roads are causing significant challenges in delivering aid, particularly in transporting heavy machinery and ambulances," Bilal Ahmed Faizi, spokesman for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's Rescue agency told. "Due to road closures in most areas, rescue workers are traveling on foot to conduct operations in remote regions," he added.
"They are trying to evacuate survivors, but very few people are relocating due to the deaths of their relatives or loved ones being trapped in the debris." Relief operation by Pakistan Army and FC troops was ongoing in Buner, Swat and Bajaur on Saturday. Fresh reinforcements from Pakistan Army have also arrived to help rescue the citizens.
Flood victims were being shifted to safe places through helicopters. Food and relief materials are also being delivered to people stranded at different places. According to officials, the relief operation will continue until all the victims are rescued safely. Other KP districts which reported fatalities were Shangla where 35 people were killed, 23 in Mansehra, lightning claimed 15 lives in Battagram, 21 died in Bajaur and 11 in Swat.
Credit: Independent News Pakistan (INP)